Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thai Palms

I live in the south end of Seattle and have been on a somewhat casual mission to seek out and patronize the restaurants in my local neighborhoods instead of always defaulting to Capital Hill, the International District, Fremont, Ballard, and all the other foodie heavy (far away) stand-bys.

The search for Thai food that is delicious, vegetarian/vegan friendly, reasonably priced and located down south is a pretty tall order. I recently discovered Thai Palms, which is located just south of Holly Street on MLK, and it caught my attention as potentially fitting the bill.

The restaurant isn't located on the most inspiring stretch of MLK, but it is clean and calm inside, and has convenient access to the Light Rail (Othello Stop). We placed an order to go, and the staff was friendly and understanding of making food vegan. While we waited for our meal, there was a steady stream of people coming to pick up their orders to go too.

We ordered three things: phad kee mao, spicy green peppercorn, and ginger with vegetables. All were made, at my request, vegan and with fresh tofu. We ordered 5/5 spice stars.

Two dishes that looks the same, but taste quite different!

And again, considering my mark of a good Thai restaurant is based upon the removal of many key Thai ingredients, these guys made some very good food. I am excited to try some more dishes. I should also mention that I found the 5/5 stars to actually be hot, which I considered a real bonus.

Phad Kee Mao

The prices were very reasonable, more in the $7-9 range than in the "fancy Thai "range of $12-13. So give them a try, and let me know what you think!

Thai Palms on Urbanspoon

No comments: