Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Samurai Noodles

I have rediscovered Samurai Noodles near Uwajimaya. Last time I reviewed it, I was pleased with the presence of a vegetarian option (Tounyu), but turned off at the intensely seaweed-y, ocean-y flavor of the broth. I recently gave it another try, and was delighted to taste that the presence of seaweed has been knocked down to a couple of benign strips of dried nori. 


I also discovered that the key here to a *really* tasty bowl of ramen is to order a side of Samurai's homemade roasted chili sauce and stir that into the broth. My order of choice is now Tounyu with a side of chili sauce, and a ton of bright pink ginger slices added at the table.

As before, the restaurant itself is tiny and totally appropriate for a solo diner or a date, but probably not good for a big crowd.

Samurai Noodle on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Ed said...

Looks good...will have to try it next time i am in the international district...

Tofu Hunter said...

Right on Ed!

T. said...

Glad you had a good experience there. I only ate there once, but the piece of pork in my very-bland broth was old. Maybe I should've gone vegetarian....

Tofu Hunter said...

Yuck, sorry to hear it T. What I'm searching for from a vegetarian perspective is often vastly different from what a meat eater would be considering... simply HAVING a vegetarian ramen is a big plus. That this one has non-offensive broth, fresh (not fried) tofu, and an interesting way to spice it up makes this a relatively pleasing vegetarian ramen experience in my book.