Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Brooklyn

After a recent evening at Benaroya Hall, some ladies and I headed to the Brooklyn for a snack and drink.

The Brooklyn is a Seafood, Steak and Oyster house, and I thus had very low expectations for vegetarian options. And, as could be expected, the menu was biased far from vegetarian cuisine. I think there may have been just one or two options: goat cheese ravioli, and the "Country Salad," though the menu may change a bit with the seasons. I ordered the salad and a dark beer.

Our meal started with a nice loaf of bread with the standard oil and vinegar, which I appreciated as a belly filler.

One of the ladies ordered an oyster sampler and a wine sampler, which looked like all kinds of fun. The other ordered a delicious looking beet salad that I was tempted by if it didn't contain prosciutto as a critical ingredient.

My salad originally came with blue cheese, but they were happy to oblige a substitution for Parmesan. And it was really really tasty.

I wasn't exactly excited by the salad based on the menu description... it included fresh sliced strawberries and candied walnuts and a raspberry vinaigrette, and I was afraid I was in for a nasty overly sweet experience. But, oh! It was good! First off, it wasn't tiny. It was reasonably sized and comprised mostly of mixed bitter greens. The dressing had the Essenes of raspberry, but was vinegary and salty. The fresh strawberries tasted great with the vinegar, and the cheese and slightly caramelized nuts were wonderful.

But, all that said, this place is still about the opposite of a vegetarian haven. It was good to know that I was able to find *something* to eat, but still it wasn't quite enough for a full meal. If you like goat cheese, your options expand by a dish.

Brooklyn Seafood, Steak and Oyster House
(206) 224-7000
1212 2nd Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
www.thebrooklyn.com

Brooklyn Seafood, Steak & Oyster House on Urbanspoon

No comments: