Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

Ali Baba

Ali Baba is on Broadway just north of Pho Cyclo, and I’ve walked past it many times admiring the tempting plastic window display of crinkle cut fries and gyros.

Finally went into to eat, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the vegetarian section of the menu dominated the reader board, and that there was a list of about a dozen delicious looking vegetarian fillings for a warm pita sandwich. I was jonseing for falaful in particular, but the other choices included fried cauliflower, spinach, fava beans, and many more.
I got the full meal, which came with a choice of salad, fries or rice, and I got the salad. My dining companion ordered the fries and upon tasting them realized I had made a mistake. They were sprinkled with some sort of delicious and unusual subtle seasoning and I could have eaten a whole plate.
The falaful was freshly fried and delicious, and the sandwich came with the usual ice burg, parsley sprinkles, sliced raw onion and a remarkably un-salty (in a good way) garlic yogurt sauce all wrapped in a fresh, soft, warm pita.

I love going in to a restaurant and finding more than a tiny handful of choices suitable for a vegetarian, and this place excelled in that department.

Ali Baba
(206) 860-6826
408 Broadway E
Seattle, WA 98102

Ali Baba Enterprises on Urbanspoon

No comments: