Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Spice Room

The Spice Room is finally open and I am so excited to have a Thai restaurant in Columbia City! I went for lunch today to check it out.

The waitresses were friendly and happy to talk with me about the possibilities of omitting fish sauce and shrimp paste from the various dishes. Turns out much of the menu can me made vegan, with the exception of the curries. I ordered the "Drunken Noodles," which is described as wide rice noodles with vegetables and herbs stir fried with a basil chili paste. Each dish included the option of either fresh or fried tofu as the "meat."

The menu failed to mention that this dish also includes egg, much like Phad Kee Mao. If you don't like egg, be sure to ask about it before you order; I spent much of the meal picking stringy egg bits out of my otherwise tasty dish. I ordered 3/4 stars, which was mild enough that I got to use the chili tray, which I very much enjoy.

My dining companion ordered the pork phad see lew, and said it was really delicious.

The ambiance was great. Half the restaurant is lined with bench seating, and the other half with semi-private booths separated with sheer hanging cloth. Everything is made out of shiny dark wood and the whole place feels clean, hip and modern.

I look forward to returning and ordering a little bit more carefully. In the meantime, I say go check this place out, I'd love to hear what you think. I suspect there are more than a few south enders thrilled to finally have a Thai restaurant down in our neck of the woods!

The Spice Room on Urbanspoon

No comments: