Pages

Monday, July 7, 2008

Hangar Cafe

Had a good sandwich the other day at the Hangar Cafe at the foot of the airport in Georgetown. The place is small, and has the lightly rustic feel of an artsy cabin. The waitress was so friendly that I forgot that she wasn't already my friend, and then when I remembered, I really wished she was.

I got the "Goddess" sandwich, which came with red onion, avocado, spinach, tomatoes, almond pesto, and cream cheese on some good toasted grainy sunflower seed bread. I was impressed with the idea of almond pesto because I love basil and the other pesto ingredients, but don't care much for pine nuts. The sandwich was particularly good, hefty and well lubricated and especially delicious with the tomatoes and onions pressed into the thick cream cheese on the warm bread. The size of the plate was a bit puzzling though- much too large for a sandwich sized on normal bread and it made me feel like I was eating doll food. The psychology of the plate took over the reality of the food and I was still hungry even after I ate the reasonable but tiny looking salad that accompanied the sandwich.

Another psychological situation came at the end of the meal, but I responded to this one positively. The check came wedged in a little cup full of jolly ranchers. I knew they weren't all for me, but it made me feel really pleased to know that I could have as many as I wanted.
I enjoyed eating here, and it was no problem eating vegetarian. We got lucky and came during a lull, but I've heard that it can be particularly crowded, especially for their homemade crepes and waffles at breakfast time. My friend experienced one slight letdown, and it was the absence of pilots. He thought perhaps we would find ourselves eating amid the raucous airmen, and unfortunately that didn't seem to be the reality.

The Hangar Cafe
6261 13th Ave S
Seattle, WA 98108
(206) 762-0204
www.thehangarcafe.com


Hangar Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: